Molds in the right place are very useful, such as in your favorite blue cheese or the popular antibiotic penicillin. In the wrong place, though, such as your home, it’s eating up your home’s wood fixtures and causing air quality problems for your household.
Water and Molds Should Never Mix
Any mold growing in your house is probably the result of water incursion. Attics, wall interiors, crawlspaces, and the basement are all key candidates for water incursion. This is more common in homes or buildings that are prone to flooding or experience a lot of rains and storms. That is why mold removal in Long Island, New York, and other places in the US Northeast is a common home improvement service. Too much humidity and condensation in the home can also cause mold.
Molds in Homes
Molds are a natural part of the environment. Outdoors, these microorganisms play a part in nature by helping break down dead organic matter such as dead trees and fallen leaves. Indoors, however, they are a problem.
Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores, and these are invisible to the naked eye. They can float through the air and can spread quickly to different places if they land on wet walls or other surfaces. You can’t keep mold out, you can, however, make it less welcome. Household mold needs certain conditions to thrive. Mold colonies often start and grow due to moisture, so taking this element out helps in mold remediation. Cleaning up after a storm or flood should be one of the things you should do to help with mold remediation in your Long Island home, for example. If you don’t have a consistent source of moisture, molds won’t be able to survive.
Molds and Your Family’s Health
Molds can cause health problems, particularly respiratory ones, as their spores usually just float in the air. These microbes produce allergens, irritants, and in some cases, even potentially toxic substances. Inhaling or coming in contact with mold or their spores can cause breathing problems, especially to those with asthma and other respiratory illnesses.
Molds gradually destroy the things they grow on. You can avoid damage to your furnishings and home, save money on home repairs, and keep your family away from potential health problems by controlling moisture and getting rid of molds.